On this week’s episode Marty, Gavin, and Andrew discuss Ontario’s proposed free education for select students. The boys also discuss the Ontario Liberal’s opinion change on marijuana, the Ontario Progressive Conservatives supporting carbon pricing, and building statues.
Episode 19 Show Notes
Hello to all of our listeners out there in podcast land, and welcome to episode 19 of the Canadian Patriot Podcast, recorded March 14, 2016.
Tyler – co-founder and co-host of the International Liberty or Death Podcast. Tyler has been shooting for 9 years as a both a casual and sport shooter, and as a hunter. He identifies politically as a Libertarian.
Gavin – a business owner, gun enthusiast, hunter, atheist and host of the Greater Toronto Area chapter of the Tactical Beard Owners Club.
Marty – Sport shooter and hunter from Southern Ontario
… and I’m your host Andrew – I’m a libertarian, competitive shooter, gear reviewer at www.everydaytacticool.com, and gun club director
We’d love to hear your feedback about the show. Please visit canadianpatriotpodcast.com/feedback/ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Available on Stitcher at http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=77508&refid=stpr and iTunes at https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/canadian-patriot-podcast/id1067964521?mt=2
What are we drinking?
Gavin – Black Mondays
Marty – Angry Orchard
Andrew – Rum and Coke Slurpee
University Students Go Shooting
Andrew spends part of the weekend with students from University of Guelph’s Criminal Justice and Public Policy Society at Guelph Rod and Gun club shooting 22lr rifles and pistols.
Medical marijuana users steamed by ban after Liberal U-turn
Patrick Brown says he supports putting a price on carbon
Conrad Black: WLU’s decision to remove the statue of John A. Macdonald is cowardly and disgraceful
Trudeau vs Haper Panda Pandering
Topic – Ontario’s Free Education Scheme
What’s proposed in budget
- Providing the majority of eligible students whose parents earn the median annual income of $83,300 or less with enough in grants to more than cover their tuition costs
- Eliminating provincial student loan debt for eligible students whose parents earn less than $50,000
- Ensuring that no eligible student receives less non-repayable aid through the new grant than they currently do through the 30% Off Ontario Tuition Grant.
- Provincial government claims average university tuition in Ontario costs $6,160. Statistics Canada says it’s $7,868.
- tuition increase of roughly four per cent scheduled for 2017
Existing issues with modern post secondary education
“This vicious cycle of poverty and privilege must be stopped.”
- Dumbing down of university curriculum
- Lack of critical thinking
- Emphasis on “arts”that don’t lead to a career
- Government fueled propaganda/liberal/SJW havens
Issues created by making post secondary education free
- Supply and demand
- Increased cost, universities in bed with government, uncapped tuition rates
- Value of the education
- Increased “need” for seats at institutions
- Middle and upper class earners still have to pay for their own children
We have to pass it to know whats in it, comes from Nacy Polosi http://www.politico.com/livepulse/0310/Pelosi_People_wont_appreciate_reform_until_it_passes.html
Issues solved by making post secondary education free
- Theoretically a better educated populace
- Except who cares about free stuff? IE high school education
- More baristas
Slamgybe on Episode 17
Well you asked…didn’t you?
Excellent interview though. Very well done.
Might be an idea to have your guest on again as things progress on the cannabis front in Canada. It will be interesting to see what comes of the upcoming UN General Assembly this April as they will be dealing with, at least, some aspects of this issue.
Nautical term: severe variety is the Windward Broach, also called a Gybe Broach (also called a death roll…really!) which usually occurs on a run where the spinnaker is so far to windward that it pulls the boat over to windward with it! In this case the boat goes over faster and farther than in a Leeward Broach, and causes the main to slam gybe.
Sharp Ninety-Seven Soooo about the split in grass locations to purches I don’t think it would be a two tired system as you put it. For example Tylenol is both sold over-the-counter and behind the counter some you need a prescription, some you don’t. Not all cannabis is the same. there are specific strains for medical use they would be sold in pharmacies and those for “relaxation” would be available for purches else where. But at this point I could just be beating a dead horse. Can’t wait to hear from you Wednesday.
Where can people see
Marty – doesn’t believe in social media
Visit us at www.canadianpatriotpodcast.com
like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com\canadianpatriotpodcast
and remember “You are the True North Strong and Free”
Music used under Creative Commons licenses
The last ones by Jahzzar http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Jahzzar/Smoke_Factory/The_last_ones
Epic by Bensound http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music/track/epic